tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 20 00:35:00 1998

chay' jura'

I remember that during the QAO debates someone explained that {chay'} means
"how, in what manner?", pointing out that {chay'} requests information on the
method the subject will use to accomplish an act.

The sentence {chay' jura'} obviously comes from TKD Sec 6.4, p 70.

In that it is translated as "What are your orders?", from the literal "How do
you command us?", I contend now that {chay'} is not limited to asking "how"
the subject is going to do something; it also comes across as "What kind of a
response does the subject want/expect?"  "How do you want the answer to be?"

peHruS

Back to archive top level