tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 15 15:14:07 1998

RE: How do I say... (ATTN: pagh)

lab StaZ:

> you know, I was looking through a newpaper from V-Day last
> year, and they ran just about evewry way to say those words
> "I love you".  Well, the Klingon way is in there... and I
> don't think that it is right, I think they just made it up.
> tell me what you think...

> "Qabang"

> now, the word love is definatly in there... but I have never
> seen <Qa>.  I have seen <Qa'>, which means animal, and I have
> seen <qa'> which is spirit... so what am I missing?  Did they
> make it up?

I've seen this too, on a web site somewhere. It's definitely not right,
but I see what they were going for. To start with, whoever did this did
not realize the importance of capitalization. What they were going for
was <qabang> - The prefix <qa-> plus the word <bang>.

That is half right. The <qa-> verb prefix indicates the subject is first
person singular (I) and the object is second person singular (you).
Unfortunately, the second part, <bang>, is a noun meaning "loved one",
and cannot be used as a verb. It's kind of like saying "I friend you"
instead of "I like you".

Klingon donesn't have a verb for "love" that we know of, but there are
other things we can do. We do have verbs for "disklike"  - <par>, and
"hate/detest"  - <muS>. We know that <parHa'>, which is <par> plus the
suffix <-Ha'>, means "like", so we often use <muSHa'> to mean "love". We
don't know whether Klingons commonly do this or not, but that's our best
guess.

So my guess at a translation for "I love you" is <qamuSHa'>.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level