tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 06 01:08:07 1998

Re: KLBC - chetvI' yIHuvmoH

lab tuv'el:

>KLBC - chetvI' yIHuvmoH!
>
>chetvI' yIHuvmoH!
>"Clear the torpedo tube!"

maj. For some reason, I really like this sentence.

>nIjchu'taH puchlIj.
>"Your toilet is leaking badly."

Do'Ha'bej. nIjDI' puchwIj waghbej tI'meH Qu'. I think <nIjqu'taH> might be
slightly better, though.

>matay'taHvIS cha'DIchwI' jIH je pIj machon.
>"My Second and I often hunt together."

<chon> is a noun. The verb you want is <wam>.

>SIbI' HIjang pagh SuyIntaHvIS SaSurghbej!
>"Answer me immediately or I will certainly skin you alive!"

This would seem to work, but it doesn't quite. The "or" in this sentence is
not a Klingon or - it means a bit more than that. "Do A or B will happen"
really means "If you don't do A, then B will happen." The Klingon or words
<qoj> and <pagh> cannot carry this extended meaning. Fortunately, we have
several canon examples of this type of sentence, the best known of which is
<bIje'be'chugh vaj bIHegh>. Fitting your sentence into the same mold, you
get:

SIbI' tujangbe'chugh vaj SuyIntaHvIS SaSurghbej.

>not ghollI' yImuS.
>"Never hate your opponent."

maj. Daj vIttlheghvam. chaq tlhIngan SuvwI'vaD Huj...

>not nISwI' tIH vIQeqHa' jIH'e'! jeghlaHpa' jaghla'
>bong may'DujDaj Qaw' 'Iv?
>"It is *I* who has never mis-aimed a disruptor beam! Who
>accidentally destroyed the enemy commander's battle cruiser
>before he could surrender?"

Small typo: <jagh la'>. I also suspect you wanted <ra'wI'> for commander.
See the KGT section on military ranks for the distinction.

>lInDab tum SopwI'pa'Daq wejpujHey wItu'pu'.
>"We have found what seems to be trilithium in
>the mess hall at the agency of espionage."

maj. We can't be certain, of course, that trilithium is <wejpuj>, but I
don't have a problem with it.

>DoghjeyDaj wIqImHa' 'ach wIHoH.
>"We will disregard his unconditional surrender
>and kill him."

>From everything we know about <qIm>, you can't <qIm> something - you just
<qIm>. I know <qImHa'> is defined as "disregard", but all the evidence
indicates that it cannot take an object. We do have <buS>, however, and
<buSHa'> means exactly what you want. I also think the <'ach> here should be
<'ej>.

>I have a feeling you're gonna zap me for this
>one Pagh, but I'm gonna try it anyway:
>yapmeH bIvaQ.
>"You are not aggresive enough."

AAAAHHHHH!!!! Kill it!

Seriously, though, this is a hard thought to express in Klingon. I would do
it in two sentences: <bIvaQqu'be'. yapbe'.> I welcome other suggestions.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level