tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 06 00:36:46 1998

Re: KLBC: Practice with -meH and -bogh

lab Datlh HoD:

>Practice with -meH and -bogh
>
>juppu'wI' DaHoHpu'bogh loDvo' vIqettaH
>"I am running from the man that killed my friends."

<HoH> should have a null prefix, but otherwise fine.

>Soppu'bogh targ vIHoH
>"I killed the targ that ate him."

I would probably read this as "I killed the targ that ate." without context
since <Sop> is often used without an object. If context makes it clear that
the targ ate HIM, this is fine. Otherwise, add a <ghaH> to the beginning of
the sentence to make it explicit.

>Soj vISuqmeH jIwamlI'
>"I am hunting to get food."

maj.

>jISuvmeH HoS vISuqmeH jISoplI'
>"I am eating to get strength to fight."

I don't generally think of strength of something that can be gotten, even in
English. And since <HoS> can also mean energy or power, I might take this to
mean you are acquiring energy for your weapons or something like that.
Fortunately, there is an easier way to say this. <jISuvmeH jIHoSchoHmeH
jISoplI'>.

>I think I got all these pretty much right, hopefully.
Pretty much. Well done.

>pabwIj neH Daqeljaj ;-)
pab neH vIqelnISmo' jIDo'

pagh