tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 04 18:48:44 1998

Re: KL BC - jImugh 'e' jInIDlI' 'a Qatlh

ja'pu' Qov:
>Hee hee. qaStaHvIS wa' DIS, mu'meyvetlh DungDaq pongwIj'e' neH
>vIleghtaH. pa' latlh pong vIleghDI' jIyev.

mugh tuv'el:
>TRANS: During the year, I saw those words above on my name only.
>I paused as soon as I saw the additional name there.

ja'qa' Qov:
>Not quite what I said, actually.  Check the location of the locative
>and recall how noun-noun's work.  "in (those words' area above)"
>"For one year I saw only MY name above those words."

For whatever reason, this {latlh pong} implies "someone else's name"
to me a lot more strongly than it does "the additional name".  It's
moderately ambiguous, but the triple whammy of context, my experience
with Qov's phrasing, and my own practice of avoiding {latlh X} where
{latlh} alone would work tells me that I should at least mention it.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level