tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 31 10:53:46 1998

Re: Verbs of Saying

Just to finish off this subject.

I've sent this to the list instead of direct to Holtej as I thought
everybody should know why I was even considering way of using pong in
the first place. I blame the fact that I don't posses the card with
the cannon on and I believed {chargwI'}'s comments in the FAQ. Which
although valid at the time they now cause people like me to puzzled by
his responses. His pre-Cannon quotes also seem to contradict the
Cannon. I'm sure chargwI' would not be happy with that.

** Excerpt from the FAQ ************
[pong as a verb] (charghwI', Wed, 20 Mar 1996)

     How many times do we have to respond to "How do I say,
     'My name is Fred in Klingon," by evading the obvious verb
     pong because we simply don't know how to use it?

(charghwI', Sun, 14 May 95)

     We don't really know how to handle verbs like pong, since
     they require two objects. The subject is the one who is naming
     or calling. One object is the person being named and the other
     object is the name. The closest I can come to using this verb is
     something like charghwI' mupong tlhInganpu'. Still, this is
     awkward and doesn't work very well when you try to introduce
     a friend. (Just try it.) "You can call my friend 'Holtej'." Most
     people fall back to using the noun form. jupwI' pong 'oH
     Holtej'e'.

I think the FAQ should be updated to reflect the fact that we now have
a Cannon example to help us understand how to use pong.

chargwI' might then get some peace, from beginners like me thinking up
ways that something can be said in tlhIngan Hol when a Cannon is
already there.

qe'San