tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 04 14:53:33 1998

RE: KLBC: tobmeH jabbI'ID vIlI'

lab qurgh HoD:

> tobmeH jabbI'IDvam vIlI'
maj.

> naDevDaq jabbI'ID vIlI'laHbe'pu'
<naDev> never gets the suffix <-Daq>. See TKD 3.3.5. Fine otherwise.

> Qapchugh Dochmey vIthob
Spelling - should be <tlhob>. And I don't think "ask [a few] things"
works very well in Klingon. The English "thing" can mean many things
(see what I mean), but I would suggest you only use the Klingon <Doch>
to mean concrete, physical things. My suggestion for this sentence:
<Qapchugh vaj Sayu'>

> jIvumtaHvIS "email" pIm vIghaj
This is OK, but it sounds like an English speaker's ideas wedged into a
Klingon sentence. Here are my suggestions to improve it. First, replace
<jIvumtaHvIS> with <yaHwIjDaq>. Your physical location, rather than your
current activity, most likely determines your email address. Second, I
would prefer <"email" Quv> to just plain "email" here, since you are
referring to your address. Finally, <... pIm vIghaj> sounds too much
like English, and doesn't flow well in Klingon. The English "have" is
rather overloaded, and I don't think the Klingon <ghaj> suffers from
this problem. You could improve it slightly by replacing <ghaj> with
<lo'>, but even better, you could restructure the sentence to be more
direct:

<yaHwIjDaq pIm "email" QuvwIj>

> 'oH qay' vIQub
First, remeber your sentence order: object verb suffix. Second, don't
forget the <'e'>

qay' 'oH 'e' vIQub.

Also, consider the suffix <-law'>. It is often a better way of
expressing <'e' vIQub> or <'e' vIHar> or the like. Since the pronoun is
optional, it can be dropped as well.

qay'law'.

> pawchugh 'oH qay vISovchu'

Spelling first: <qay'>. And you forgot the <'e'> again. See TKD 6.2.5
for more on <'e'>. Also, if it arrives, why is it a problem. I would
have expected <pawchugh vaj qay'be' 'e' vISovchu'> here. Finally, you
may want to consider the type six suffix <-bej> on <qay'>.

> Thats about as far as I can go in Klingon, now I have to go back to
> English. If this does get to the list I added the KLBC so that pagh
> could correct my grammar. :)
>
> My email at work doesn't have the "othello.ucs" on it
> and I'm not sure if listserv is that picky. I know it
> can be, as I run a few listservs, but I don't know how
> far it will go.

I will leave the official word on this to Holtej, but my experience is
that the listserv will accept mail from anyone not explicitly blocked. I
use this feature a lot - I do most of my KLBC work at work, but I do a
little at home on the evenings and weekends. At home, I read the archive
and post directly to the list. It seems to work OK.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level