tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 04 14:29:08 1998

RE: KLBC: Practice with -meH

KLBC - Practice with -meH

'ay' wa' -

ja' pagh:
> Here are a few English sentences to translate. They should all be
> translated with a <-meH> clause. I wrote these for tuv'el, but anyone
> should feel free to give them a try. The last one is a bit harder.

> In order to buy a new ship, I need to make lots of money.
Duj chu' vIje'meH Huch law' vIbajnIS.

> I sang to the chemvaH to calm her down.
vIjotmoHmeH chemvaHvaD vIbom.

> The prisoner escaped by making a tunnel.
narghmeH 'och chenmoH qama'.

> I obviously need to hunt before I can eat.
jISoplaHmeH jIwamnISba'.

> The bird of prey didn't have enough power to raise shields.
botjan chu'meH HoS yap Hutlh toQDuj.

'ay' cha' -

> > 'ar QIH chenmoH mogh'e' romuluS HIQ tlutlhtaHvIS?
> > "How much damage did Mogh cause while he was drinking
> > Romulan ale?"

> The minor stuff first. You misspelled <HIq>. <'ar> always goes AFTER the
> thing being quantified, not before. I'm not sure why you used <-'e'> on
> mogh. It's not wrong - I am just wondering.

I was trying to identify the head noun of the first clause so no one would
be confused by the string of nouns in the middle of the sentence.  I know
that's one of the most confusing things for me when I look at what others
write, just trying to figure out which words form each clause, and how they
relate.

'ay' wej -

> > nI'qu'meH tera'Daq jIyIntaHmo' jItunchoHtaH; reghuluS 'Iwghargh
> > vIrur jay'.
> > "I have been living on Earth so long, I am becoming as soft as a
> > freakin' Regulan bloodworm."

> The second bit of the sentence is fine, but the first bit <nI'qu'meH
> tera'Daq jIyIntaHmo' ...> just doesn't work too well. Let's try to
> figure out how to say this more easily. The usual way of English
> speakers to say "for a long time" is to simply drop a <qaStaHvIS poH
> nI'...> at the beginning of a sentence and go on, but that is not very
> original.

> Here's what I suggest: <nI'qu'mo' tera' vIDabmeH poH ...>. The main verb
> here is <nI'>, and there is obviously no object. The subject is the
> interesting part: <tera' vIDabmeH poH> - "the period in order that I
> dwell on Earth". This is yet another case of a <-meH> clause modifying a
> noun, and the English translation does sound odd. The Klingon is quite
> natural though.

This is a good example of what confuses me so much.  The construction:
/nI'qu'mo' tera' vIDabmeH poH/  How can you tell if /tera'/ belongs to
/nI'qu'mo'/ or with /vIDabmeH/?  I realize that "Because the Earth is very
long" makes no sense, but at times it can be VERY challenging to figure it
out.  Help!  What do you do?

'ay' loS -

> > > reH latlh qabDaq qul tuj law' Hoch tuj puS. jIghItlhtaHvIS,
> > > jIjeHlaw' jIH'e'.
> > TRANS: The fire on someone else's face is always hottest of all.
> > *I* was apparently absentminded while writing.

> maj. The first bit is, of course, a replacement proverb.

> reH latlh qabDaq qul tuj law' Hoch tuj puS
> The fire is always hotter on somebody else's face

jIghel <qa'meH vIttlhegh nuq?> 'e' vInabpu' 'ach DaH jISov.

'ay' vagh -

> > > jIjangQo' jay'!
> >
> > "jIjangbe' jay'!"  I won't freakin' answer!
> > "yIjangQo' jay'!"  Don't friggin' answer!

> Time for a little explanation of <-be'> and <-Qo'>. <-be'> is simple
> negation. <jIjangbe'> could mean "I didn't answer", "I do not answer",
> or "I will not answer", but these are all just statements of fact. If I
> want to say that I *refuse* to answer, I say <jIjangQo'>.

> Note that often non-imperative verbs with <-Qo'> get translated with
> "won't", and "won't" is a bit funny in English. Sometimes it's used in a
> simple future tense statement of fact, but it often means that the
> subject refuses to do whatever it is. Klingon does not have this
> problem. The following two sentences, which can both be translated "I
> won't sleep tonight", are quite distinct.

> DaHjaj ram jIQongbe'.
> DaHjaj ram jIQongQo'.

I looked (briefly) for the reference to this use of -Qo', but could not find
it.  (and alas, I do not have my reference materials here in front of me as
I write.)  I remember in the description on rovers that -Qo' was the
imperative equivalent of -be'.  It explicitly said -be' cannot be used with
imperatives, and I thought that implied that -Qo' could not be used outside
of imperatives.

'ay' jav -

> > > I don't know if <tlhIl> can be used like this, but other
> > > than that, this is good.
> >
> > My random sentence challenger threw me a nasty word pair.  How am I
> > going to use /tlhIl/ and /naHlet/ in the same sentence?

> jItlhIltaHvIS, naHlet vISop.

'ay' Soch - mu'tlheghmey chu'

bIlugh; Sor bIrur.  be'nalwI' SosnI' maw' ghaHlaw' ngem Ha'DIbaHqoqvetlh.
"You are correct as a tree.  That so-called forest animal is apparently my
wife's crazy grandmother."

Qo'noS noHwI''a' qaDlaHmeH bolwI' yIqem.
"Bring the traitor so that he may face the supreme judge of Kronos."

Qovpatlhmey QIp tulob!

Back to archive top level