tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 03 11:00:01 1998

RE: tlhingan-hol numeric system

> Greetings.  I have been reading the daily digest for some time now and,
> while I am not as of yet sufficiently versed in tlhinghan grammar to
engage
> in substantive discussion, I do have an intriguing question based on
> psychosociological and developmental semantic principles.
>
> I note the KLI fonts present a base 10 numeric system, however, I do not
> recall canon addressing the issue of Klingon mathematics.  Given that all
> symbolic systems are representational, and given too the Klingon history
of
> military practicality over bureaucratic interference, I cannot fully
> understand why the Klingon numeric system (KNS to save keystrokes) should
be
> base 10 (barring the "obvious" - Klingons being a 5 digit per extremity
> race).
>
> To me, a much more militaristic, practical, and perhaps "culturally rich"
> system would be base 12, for the following observations:
>
> Culturally - Klingon iconography seems inordinately interested in
triangular
> shapes. 12 is factorable by 3, providing a clear cultural imperative.
>
> Militarily - 12 is more readily factored (without repeating decimals).
> Military unit organization becomes infinitely more flexible.

Although I personally like base 12, I'm quite sure that canon makes it clear
the most likely reason for the change was to understand the mathematics of
others who were using base ten.  (Voragh, help!)

- tuv'el

Back to archive top level