tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Sep 03 10:12:23 1998

tlhingan-hol numeric system

Greetings.  I have been reading the daily digest for some time now and, while I am not as of yet sufficiently versed in tlhinghan grammar to engage in substantive discussion, I do have an intriguing question based on psychosociological and developmental semantic principles.

I note the KLI fonts present a base 10 numeric system, however, I do not recall canon addressing the issue of Klingon mathematics.  Given that all symbolic systems are representational, and given too the Klingon history of military practicality over bureaucratic interference, I cannot fully understand why the Klingon numeric system (KNS to save keystrokes) should be base 10 (barring the "obvious" - Klingons being a 5 digit per extremity race).

To me, a much more militaristic, practical, and perhaps "culturally rich" system would be base 12, for the following observations:

Culturally - Klingon iconography seems inordinately interested in triangular shapes. 12 is factorable by 3, providing a clear cultural imperative.

Militarily - 12 is more readily factored (without repeating decimals).  Military unit organization becomes infinitely more flexible.

Politically - Klingons are a practical conquering race.  A digital system has no real justification other than "I have this many digits attached to my body."  A base 12 system has the advantage of rapid mental factorability, allowing a subjected race to be more rapidly integrated into required technical support positions.

Economically - Once again, when dealing in grosses and parts thereof one has the advantage of non-repeating factorability.  Similarly, in practical accounting, there are distinct advantages to being able to divide cleanly by 3.

Scientifically - Ok, maybe there is no strong advantage here, but I really see no disadvantage either.  Since science is almost always dealing with unreal or extended fractional numbers anyway, base 12 is as good as base 10 and it does have the minor advantage of decreasing the overall size of the numbers involved (1000000 base 12 = 2985984 base 10).

Canonically? - The "Bird of Prey" stolen by the balding, pudgy nameless one had "a crew of 12" (though I believe this is the only ship class with a base 12 compliment)

Input, argument, death threats, deification?

Thanks.

Back to archive top level