tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 02 05:56:46 1998

Re: Klingon Time 2

ja' peHruS:
>There exists some evidence from books, not all containing canon tlhIngan Hol,
>that Qo'noS is about 1-1/2 times the [surface] size of Earth.

lI'be' De'vam.  lughbejbe', 'ach ram.  poHvaD potlhbe'chu'.

>  The Klingons
>refer to time in 24 one-hour periods, using military terminology to express
>time.

taghwI'vaD vay' DaQIjchugh, De' mung yIngu'!  ngoDvam much CK, qar'a'?

>Thus, 11:30 pm is given as cha'maH wejvatlh wejmaH rep.

ngoDHeyvam wISovbe'qu'.  chaq lugh; chaq lughbe'.  chovnatlh wIHutlh.

>This implies
>that each {rep} is 1/24th of the amount of time it takes Qo'noS to rotate on
>its axis.

lugh De'vam'e'.  cha'maH loS rep ngaS wa' jaj.  nuchuH Okrand.

>The size of the planet implies that the {repmey} could be
>substantially longer than an Earth hour.

nuqjatlh?  chay' rep poH SIgh yuQ tIn?  tlham nger le'be' Daqel'a'?
bImISchu', peHruS.  Jupiter tIn law' tera' tIn puS, 'ach Jupiter jaj
ngaj law' tera' jaj ngaj puS.  DIng yuQ.  tIn 'e' SaHbe'.  mach 'e'
SaHbe'.  nom DInglaH yuQ mach pagh QIt DInglaH.  QIt DInglaH yuQ tIn
pagh nom DInglaH.  ram qelI'qammey.

>  There is no concrete proof that
>there are 60 tupmey in a rep, but it appears to be so, from the sketchy
>evidence about military time-telling.

Dachchu' tupmey QIjbogh De'.

>OTOH, we do not know anything for sure about the divisions of a {rep}, a
>{tup}, or a {lup}.  Not only do we on Earth use Earth time-telling methods
>even when talking about Klingon time, it appears to me that Klingon divisions
>of time are demarcated in like divisions.  Apparently, the divisions are
>nearly 1-1/2 times longer!?!

We know that there are 24 hours in a day.  That's *all* we know.  Aside from
the [intentional] similarity with 24-hour "military time" phrasing when one
tells at what hour an event happens, we have no clue about how to use minutes
and seconds.

And I really don't know what you're getting at with the "1-1/2 times longer"
idea.  Even ignoring the fact that we don't know how the size of the Klingon
homeworld, a planet's size is utterly irrelevant to the length of its day.

>maSovchu'be'

maSovbe'chu'.

But since I usually am describing events here on Earth, I will use the Earth
definitions for minutes and seconds, just like I do for months and weeks.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level