tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 01 23:22:17 1998

Klingon Time 2

There exists some evidence from books, not all containing canon tlhIngan Hol,
that Qo'noS is about 1-1/2 times the [surface] size of Earth.  The Klingons
refer to time in 24 one-hour periods, using military terminology to express
time.  Thus, 11:30 pm is given as cha'maH wejvatlh wejmaH rep.  This implies
that each {rep} is 1/24th of the amount of time it takes Qo'noS to rotate on
its axis.  The size of the planet implies that the {repmey} could be
substantially longer than an Earth hour.  There is no concrete proof that
there are 60 tupmey in a rep, but it appears to be so, from the sketchy
evidence about military time-telling.

OTOH, we do not know anything for sure about the divisions of a {rep}, a
{tup}, or a {lup}.  Not only do we on Earth use Earth time-telling methods
even when talking about Klingon time, it appears to me that Klingon divisions
of time are demarcated in like divisions.  Apparently, the divisions are
nearly 1-1/2 times longer!?!

maSovchu'be'

peHruS

Back to archive top level