tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 02 05:50:45 1998

Aural cues while speaking

I have a question that is somewhat off topic for this list, but I figured
it was a good place to ask it, since there are several linguists here. Are
there aural cues as to proper (prescriptive) grammar when one is speaking
a language, English in particular? I ask this because of an interesting
occurrence I have heard in the southern dialect (I live in Atlanta, GA).
People will say "gone" when they take the time to say "should have" first,
as in "I should have gone to the store". But, when they use the southern
idiom "shoulda", they will follow it with "went", as in "I shoulda went to
the store". I have seen this pattern with several other verb forms, too,
including "should have seen / shoulda saw", "should have eaten / shoulda
ate", and "should have done / shoulda did" (the last two I have only heard
in rural areas). Does hearing oneself say "have" provide feedback as to
what the next word/lexeme should be? Has anyone seen the same thing in
tlhIngan Hol or other languages?

~ Thornton

Back to archive top level