tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 29 08:26:43 1998

Re: KLBC: -ghach

On Thu, 29 Oct 1998 07:19:33 -0800 (PST) Pam Felton
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Yes, the English version has an addendum.
>
> lo'laH
> lo'laHghach
> lo'laHbe'ghach

The English version of TKD does have an Addendum, but it does
not have any of the above three words in its word list.
{lo'laH} is in the main word list, not the Addendum. TKD
Addendum does list these words in the grammar section, though
the second one is very interesting because of what we've learned
about the word {lo'laH} and what we've learned about the suffix
{-ghach}.

First, we now know that there are two totally different words
which are spelled as {lo'laH}. One is the root {lo'} plus the
suffix {-laH}. This transitive word cannot be used adjectivally.
Standing alone as a sentence, it means "He can use it."

The other word has a two syllable root {lo'laH} as given in the
main word list in TKD. Standing alone as a sentence, it means,
"It is valuable". Note that the two syllable root is
intransitive while the single syllable root plus suffix is
transitive. These are fundamentally different words. They likely
had some historical root, but Okrand has made it clear that they
are now distinctly different words. They behave differently,
since one can take an object and the other can be used
adjectivally.

We also have learned that {-ghach} cannot generally be used on
verbs without intervening suffixes. It is "marked" to do so. In
this case, perhaps it is "Marc"ed to do so. {{:)>

I think the {lo'laHghach} example is not a very good one; likely
one Okrand would retract now if he had the opportunity.
Subsequent to it being included in the book, he has refined his
approach to both the root verb and {-ghach}.

If we take current interpretations of this, {lo'laHghach} would
have to be using the original single-syllable root, so that
{lo'laHghach} would mean "the ability to use". Meanwhile, Okrand
states in the example that he is using {lo'laH} as "be
valuable", which is the two-syllable root definition.

This same messiness extends into {lo'laHbe'ghach}. These
examples were simply written before Okrand decided that {lo'laH}
was a separate root verb. He made that decision because he had
used {lo'laH} as an adjective, and you can't generally use
{-laH} on a verb while it is used as an adjective. Faced with
either declaring {lo'laH} as a separate verb from its original
root or generally allowing people to use {-laH} on adjectives,
Okrand chose to declare {lo'laH} a separate word.

This example then uses {-ghach} on a bare verb stem, which he
says you can't generally do, so we have to cop out and say that
this is just one of those "natural" glitches. It is an exeption
to these rules.

> naD
> naDHa'ghach
> naDqa'gha'ch

This is, as Okrand has privately confirmed, the verb root for
which he created {-ghach}. He needed a way to nominalize a verb
with a suffix, in order to translate "discommendation". Note
that in the word list, he gives us {naD} as a verb and as a
noun, then gives us {naDHa'} as a verb, and since he can't just
declare {naDHa'} as a noun, he gives us {naDHa'ghach} as a noun.
Meanwhile, {naDqa'ghach} is not in the word list.

I guess I now have three more entries to add to the New Words
List: lo'laHghach, lo'laHbe'ghach and naDqa'ghach. [sigh] I
think I'll pass on listing {naDqa'} since it is somewhat obvious.

> Looks like some typos. :)  At least one, in the last word.

Obviously.

> K'ryntes

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level