tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 27 14:17:40 1998

RE: halloween

lab kiel:

> how would you say "trick or treat" in klingon

Since SIHwI' and others have responded with all sorts of suggestions, I'll
answer this one now.

What "trick or treat" really means is "Give me some sort of food,
preferrably chocolate, or I will do something mildly unpleasant to you, your
family, or your house". Wow - there's an awful lot of culture wrapped up in
that little phrase. The trick part, of course, is meant to sound much worse
than it (usually) is.

Going the most literal route, my suggestion is: <Soj chonobbe'chugh vaj
qajoy'>.

Refining that into something shorter and more manageable, I would probably
go with (as charghwI' suggested) <yuch HInob>.

If you're holding out your bag 'o loot, the <HInob> becomes redundant, so I
think the best thing is a sort of pitiful/agressive (if you can manage both
at the same time) <yuuuuuuch!!!>

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level