tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 23 14:38:25 1998

Re: RE: KLBC Tribbleball

ghItlh Johnny Wilson 'ej pagh:

>> yIHghanjaq le' lo' maH.
>> We use special Tribbleclubs.
>
>If you are in Marketing, and you have a new product you want to call the
>TribbleClub(TM), this is fine. Otherwise, I think just two nouns right next
>to each other is better. You left off the plural suffix, but that is
>perfectly fine: plural suffixes are never required. In this case, I think
>the sentence is a little clearer with the plural, so I am going to use it.

When we put two nouns together, unless we are expressing an appositive
(which we are not) we mean (TKD p. 31) "N2 of the N1". <yIH ghanjaq>
therefore translates as "mace of the tribble" or "tribble's mace".
Possessive. I can't recall canon using N-N to represent association like
"tribble-mace" as in "mace used to hit tribbles". Perhaps we must say <yIH
qIpmeH ghanjaq le' DIlo'>. <yIH ghanjaq le' DIlo'> translates as "We use the
tribble's special maces." Perhaps the coinage of an unusual compound makes
it actually clearer that this is not the tribble's club - although I doubt a
tribble can wield one anyway.

Qermaq

Back to archive top level