tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 22 12:01:10 1998

Re: drillmusciangroup

William H. Martin wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Oct 1998 09:32:40 -0700 (PDT) Pam Felton
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > You know that thread where the writer said, "If we can mash two nouns together,
> > why not three?"  Or something to that effect.  Well, I just started  to read my
> > TKD another time this morning and on page 19 it says a compound noun can consist
> > of two or three nouns.  So apparently it is okay to do that with Klingon, right?
>
> naQjejHomvaD mInlIj DaDuQmoH net chaw' je. QaQ'a' qechvam?
> ghobe'.
>
> It is also okay to poke your eye with a sharp stick. That
> doesn't mean it is necessarily a good idea to do it.

QaQbe' 'ach Qaghbe'.

It's not good but it's not wrong.

> wa'maH wejben DuHvam nobbej *Okrand* 'ach wej lo' ghaH'e'.
> lo'Daj nI' law' lo'lIj nI' puS. qatlh DuHvam poQbe'taHvIS DapoQ?
>
> Okrand definitely offered that tool to himself and to us just in
> case he or we ever need it. Meanwhile, the copyright date on the
> publication that included that rule is 1985 and in the 13 years
> since that time, so far as I know, Okrand has found it necessary
> to pack three nouns into one exactly zero times. Is there any
> reason that with as much as he has written in 13 years using the
> language and as little as you've written since you started
> studying the language that you will need to use this tool more
> than he has?

No, I'll probably never have to use it.  I was just asking if it was grammatically
correct to do so.  As I was reading on I found another mention:

"In addition, it is possible to combine nouns in the manner of a compound noun to
produce a new construct even if it is not a legitimate compund noun." (TKD p.30)

> wa' mojDI' wej mu' le' ghu'. jatlhlaHchu'taHpa' taghwI'pu'
> le'choH taghwI'pu' neHlaw' taghwI'pu'.
>
> Three words packed into one is an extreme. Beginners are often
> drawn to explore the extremes long before they learn to express
> normal things well.

It has nothing to do with me being a beginner.  Why stereotype me?  I'm no where near
the skill level that you are.  I know that and I trust everything you say because I
know one learns a lot from experience.  So if you tell me don't do it I'm not going to
because I realize that in a few years, or however long it takes, I'll see that you're
right.  I think I am learning to express normal things well.  I know I'm trying very
hard to learn tlhIngan Hol right.

> jIQIjmeH jInIDqa': wej mu'meyvaD wa' mu' DamojmoHpa' qechvam
> Daqel mangachlI'DI' tlhIngan Hol neH wIjatlhtaHvIS. Qu'vam
> Data'pu'chugh DaH DIvI' Hol vIlo'nISbe'.
>
> Let me put it this way: I would expect you to be well capable of
> offering a discussion using the Klingon language about packing
> three nouns into one long before I'd expect you to have a valid
> reason to actually do it.

This will probably be the case.

> If you were there already, this
> discussion would probably not now be in English.

Ouch.  :(

K'ryntes

Back to archive top level