tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 22 10:52:48 1998

Re: drillmusciangroup

On Thu, 22 Oct 1998 09:32:40 -0700 (PDT) Pam Felton
<[email protected]> wrote:

> You know that thread where the writer said, "If we can mash two nouns together,
> why not three?"  Or something to that effect.  Well, I just started  to read my
> TKD another time this morning and on page 19 it says a compound noun can consist
> of two or three nouns.  So apparently it is okay to do that with Klingon, right?

naQjejHomvaD mInlIj DaDuQmoH net chaw' je. QaQ'a' qechvam?
ghobe'.

It is also okay to poke your eye with a sharp stick. That
doesn't mean it is necessarily a good idea to do it.

wa'maH wejben DuHvam nobbej *Okrand* 'ach wej lo' ghaH'e'.
lo'Daj nI' law' lo'lIj nI' puS. qatlh DuHvam poQbe'taHvIS DapoQ?

Okrand definitely offered that tool to himself and to us just in
case he or we ever need it. Meanwhile, the copyright date on the
publication that included that rule is 1985 and in the 13 years
since that time, so far as I know, Okrand has found it necessary
to pack three nouns into one exactly zero times. Is there any
reason that with as much as he has written in 13 years using the
language and as little as you've written since you started
studying the language that you will need to use this tool more
than he has?

wa' mojDI' wej mu' le' ghu'. jatlhlaHchu'taHpa' taghwI'pu'
le'choH taghwI'pu' neHlaw' taghwI'pu'.

Three words packed into one is an extreme. Beginners are often
drawn to explore the extremes long before they learn to express
normal things well.

jIQIjmeH jInIDqa': wej mu'meyvaD wa' mu' DamojmoHpa' qechvam
Daqel mangachlI'DI' tlhIngan Hol neH wIjatlhtaHvIS. Qu'vam
Data'pu'chugh DaH DIvI' Hol vIlo'nISbe'.

Let me put it this way: I would expect you to be well capable of
offering a discussion using the Klingon language about packing
three nouns into one long before I'd expect you to have a valid
reason to actually do it. If you were there already, this
discussion would probably not now be in English.

> K'ryntes

charghwI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level