tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 22 11:43:28 1998

Re: drillmusciangroup

wej wej DIp motlhvaD wa' DIp mojmoH *Okrand*. reH wa' DIpHey le'
lo' wej chovnatlh junobbogh. wej DIpmey Dararchugh ghaytan
bIjatlhchu'be'.

None of these examples involve Okrand combining three normal
nouns to form a new single noun. I do not think they provide
good evidence that it is recommended that people commonly
combine three nouns into one. I do not believe this practice is
likely to make your words easy to understand.

charghwI' 'utlh

On Thu, 22 Oct 1998 11:03:05 -0700 (PDT) Steven Boozer
<[email protected]> wrote:

> : You know that thread where the writer said, "If we can mash two nouns
> together,
> : why not three?"  Or something to that effect.  Well, I just started  to read
> my
> : TKD another time this morning and on page 19 it says a compound noun can
> consist
> : of two or three nouns.  So apparently it is okay to do that with Klingon,
> right?
> :
> : K'ryntes
>
> Right, though they are not common.  Here are three off the top of my head:
>
>  DIvI'may'Duj  Federation battle cruiser
>
>   yuQjIjDIvI'   United Federation of Planets (or)
>   yuQjIjQa'     United Federation of Planets
>
> although there are no known nouns {jIj} or {Qa'} -- well, there is the vicious
> {Qa'} animal, but this {Qa} is clearly different.
>
>   'ejyo'waw'    starbase
>
>  "The syllable {'ej} also occurs in {'ejyo'} 'Starfleet'. There are,
>    however, no known Klingon words {'ej}, {Do'}, or {yo'} that have
>    anything to do with Starfleet, starships, the Federation, or space
>    vehicles of any kind. It is quite likely ... an Old Klingon word
>    ... that is used nowhere except in the noun {'ejDo'}. Of course,
>    without further study, that remains pure conjecture." (TKD p.20)

> Voragh                            "Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
> Ca'Non Master of the Klingons      lis est."         Horace (Ars Poetica)

Back to archive top level