tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 22 14:11:47 1998

Re: drillmusciangroup

: [Voragh] wrote:
: >  DIvI'may'Duj  Federation battle cruiser
: >
: >   yuQjIjDIvI'   United Federation of Planets (or)
: >   yuQjIjQa'     United Federation of Planets
: >
: > although there are no known nouns {jIj} or {Qa'} -- well, there is the
: > vicious {Qa'} animal, but this {Qa'} is clearly different.
: >
: >   'ejyo'waw'    starbase
: >
: >   "The syllable {'ej} also occurs in {'ejyo'} 'Starfleet'. There are,
: >    however, no known Klingon words {'ej}, {Do'}, or {yo'} that have
: >    anything to do with Starfleet, starships, the Federation, or space
: >    vehicles of any kind. It is quite likely ... an Old Klingon word
: >    ... that is used nowhere except in the noun {'ejDo'}. Of course,
: >    without further study, that remains pure conjecture." (TKD p.20)
:
: None of these examples involve Okrand combining three normal
: nouns to form a new single noun. I do not think they provide
: good evidence that it is recommended that people commonly
: combine three nouns into one. I do not believe this practice is
: likely to make your words easy to understand.
:
: charghwI' 'utlh

I agree that {yuQjIjDIvI'}, {yuQjIjQa'} and {'ejyo'waw'} are strange --
possibly containing Old Klingon nouns not extant in the "modern" language --
which is why I commented on them.  Many Okrandian compounds seem to contain
obsolete noun forms, such as our old friend {QongDaq} "bed".

However, {DIvI'may'Duj} "Federation battle cruiser" does consist of three
fairly common nouns: {DIvI'} "Federation" + {may'} "battle" + {Duj} "ship".
({may'Duj}, of course, also exists as a compound by itself.)

Not that it makes these threefold nouns any less rare, or such
monstrosities as
Okrand's own example {DIvI'may'DujmeyDaq} "at/to the Federation battle
cruisers" (TKD) any less difficult to understand at first glance.  Can anyone
think of another one?

Voragh

Back to archive top level