tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 21 23:00:54 1998

Re: Need help!!

---Ti-Lyn Soh <[email protected]> wrote:

> Or, if someone would be kind enough to provide me with a brief
run-down of
> the language in terms of structure and differences compared to
english.

Ha ha.  Just say "in every way."

Klingon has OVS sentences with many rules governing placement of
clauses and of syllables on agglutinated words.  Klingon grammarians
count three parts of speech: Verbs, nouns and chuvmey (leftovers).
There is no tense. There are four verb aspects.  There are no
articles, noun case or grammatical gender, even in pronouns.  Verbs
are conjugated with prefixes that denote both the subject and object.
There are suffixes for both verbs and nouns to indicates the speaker's
degree of certainty. Prepositional concepts are expressed with nouns
and a generic prepositional marker.

The English translation is typically almost twice the length of the
Klingon, and English often doesn't have the same nuances.

/'ajpu'qoqra' vIghojqa'moHlaHmeH jIQIHqu''eghqangbej/
"I am willing (no doubt in my mind) to *injure* (either really injure,
or injure as opposed to something else) myself in order for me to be
able to re-educate (or "resume teaching") your so-called (I am
questioning the validity of calling them that) admirals."

Any more specific questions?

==
Qov - pab 'utlh