tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 19 23:09:14 1998

Re: names and "to be" again (was Re: KLBC)

ja' qoror:
>I have never studied French, but in extremely colloquial German, the
>definite article is used with names of people.  Zum Beispiel, "Der Manfred
>soll reinkommen."  (This might sound artificial to native speakers; I have
>never spoken for an extended period of time with a real German.)

Just so I'm clear on this, is this ever used to talk about the name, or
is it always used when referring to the person?

Even in English, we find things like "The Enterprise" used in reference
to a ship, but the actual name of the ship is just "Enterprise".  It's a
matter of the "use/mention" duality of names, which is universal enough
that I assume it's also a feature of Klingon.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level