tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Oct 17 23:51:32 1998

RE: request for help with a song

> Greetings to the KLI

> My name is Dan and I guess I could be described as a minor
> trek-oholic. I have a request to make. Over the summer my
> friends had a baby girl. They have asked me to compose a
> Klingon song to honour the occasion. I, unfortunately,
> cannot speak Klingon, although I have obtained a copy of
> the Klingon Dictionary. I have to present the song at the
> Naming ceremony, which is being held on the 25th October
> 1998. I would be grateful if the KLI could help create for
> this worthy occasion.Thanks.

Welcome to the list, Dan. My name is pagh, and I am the current Beginners'
Grammarian. It's my job to help beginners learn Klingon. Whenever you have a
post you want help with, mark it for my attention by putting the letters
KLBC in the subject line.

As for the song, I and others will certainly be willing to help you with
putting your ideas into Klingon, but you are the only one who can come up
with those ideas. Post some of what you are thinking about and I will try to
help. If you are feeling adventurous, try an initial attempt of the Klingon
as well.

> 'LwiLj jnchjaj.

The set of characters can be confusing, especially for those using sans
serif fonts, where you can't tell the difference between a lower case L and
an upper case i. I suggest you set your mail reader to use a serif font like
Times or Courier if you want to read Klingon.

To clear up this particular expression, pretend <#> is a capital <i> (eye),
and <$> is a lower case <L> (ell). The expression is:

'#w$#j jachjaj.
'IwlIj jachjaj.

> Qapla'

pagh