tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 16 08:47:02 1998

Re: Honor to you and your house!

> I'm having trouble translating the phrase "honor to you and your house".
> I think we need to use the verb here, with an indefinite subject suffix
-lu'.
> But how does that work with two objects? I'm asking this here because maybe
> somebody already has translated that phrase
>
> Quvar muHwI'

With two objects - particularly if different prefixes are required or if there
are attached suffixes such as {-vaD} - Klingon tends to repeat the verb in a
second clause or follow-up sentence.  Here's an example from the restaurant
scene in CK:

  SoHvaD 'uQ wej vIqem.  Dargh vIqem je.
  I'll bring you dinner number three. I'll bring tea also.

Note that the waitress omitted {SoHvaD} the second time since it's understood.
(Since she's talking to her customer, who else was she going to bring it to?)
Grammatically, she could have said:

  SoHvaD 'uQ wej Dargh je vIqem.
  I'll bring you dinner number three and tea.

This would have been a bit confusing, so Okrand split it into two sentences as
a matter of (colloquial?) style.

Now, depending on what you really mean by "honor to you and your House", you
could say simply:

  SoHvaD batlh tuqvaD batlh je
  SoHvaD quv tuqvaD quv je
  "honor to you and honor to your House"

which is a just a noun phrase.  Note that like the English, this is not a
complete sentence.  (We don't need to discuss the difference between the two
nouns for "honor" again here.)  As a complete, if clumsy, sentence you might
say:

  SoHvaD quv vInob 'ej tuqvaD quv vInob.
 "I give honor to you and (I give honor) to your House."

or the like, *IF* there is an idiom to "give honor" in Klingon.  So far, we
know of {quv tIch} "insult (someone's) honor" (PK & TKW),  {quv chav} "achieve
honor" (TKW), {quv Hutlh} "have no honor, lack honor" (TKW).  Considering the
importance of honor in Klingon society, I'm sure there are many, many more
such
idioms.  Not to mention those with {batlh}:

  batlh qelDI' tlhIngan, lumbe'
  A Klingon does not postpone a matter of honor. TKW

More simply, just use the verb {quvmoH}, "honor (someone)":

  SoSwI' vavwI' je quvmoHjaj paqvam
  [Okrand's dedication in KGT]

  Hochlogh no' yIquvmoH
  All times honor your ancestors (sic) KGT

  reH no' yIquvmoH
  Always honor your ancestors. KGT

This gives us:

  qaquvmoH 'ej tuqlIj vIquvmoH.
  "I honor you and I honor your House."

Fortunately, Okrand has translated a nearly identical phrase from the Order of
the Bat'leth induction at Ty'Gokor (DS9 "Apocalypse Rising") in his "Klingon
for the Galactic Traveller" (ca. p. 182 I think):

  pInaDqu' tuqlIj wInaDqu' je
  Glory to you and your house
  ("We praise you highly; we also praise your house highly")

Note that Okrand renders "glory" (or "glorify") as "praise highly".  Using
this
as a guide, we finally wind up with:

  qaquvmoH tuqlIj vIquvmoH je.

Personally, I think {quvmoHqu'} would be a bit much.  No doubt you will hear
other suggestions.  How did you want to translate using {-lu'}?

 Voragh
"Grammatici certant et adhuc sub judice
 Ca'Non Master of the Klingons                              lis est."
       Horace (Ars Poetica)

Back to archive top level