tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 14 21:02:56 1998

Re: Bad Mailer! bat'telh yISop!

>>You refer to a nickname as a "dishonest label". Is that an idiom I missed
>in KGT?
>
>Hmm.  I was using <pojwI' for Windows> by d'Armond Speers at work, since I
>don't have any of my books here.  It's lexicon defines per yuD as
>"code-name".  "Nick-name" was my paraphrase.

{per yuD} is from KGT, p. 48.

"A specific plan or strategem usually has a code name ({per yuD} [literally,
"dishonest label"]) coined especially for the occasion and not necessarily
used again.  A {per yuD} is sometimes the name of an animal, sometimes the
name of a Klingon historical figure, and it usually ends in {Qu'} ("mission,
task").  Code names are the equivalent of Federation locutions such as
"Operation Cougar" and are therefore often translated in that pattern:
{targh Qu'} ("Operation Targ"), {lung Qu'} ("Operation Dragon"; a {lung} is
not really a dragon, but that is a close approximation), {'aqtu' Qu'}
("Operation Aktuh")."

I don't know what the original reference was, but to me "nickname" suggests
a reference to a person or a pet, which doesn't seem to be covered by this
description.

I thought I'd pipe in here, to make a point about {pojwI'}, as it's author.
{pojwI'} and tools like it are useful, but they're not the last word.
{yIvoq 'ach yI'ol!}

--d'Armond

--
d'Armond Speers