tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 09 23:43:51 1998

RE: jIHaghnIS

lab SIHwI':
> Hergh law' oH Haghghach'e'
>
> (I hope this is close to correct)

If you were going for "laughter is the best medicine", it is close.

It is rather weird in Klingon to put <-ghach> on a bare verb, but it is not
outright illegal. <-taH> or <-lI'> are often used to justify <-ghach>, and
they usually don't make it any better, but here, I think <-taH> might
actually be just what you want. It is the process of laughing that is good
medicine.

<law'> does not work here modifying <Hergh> for what you want to do, though.
You could consider something like <Hergh nIv> or <Hergh le'>, or if you are
willing to use slang, <Hergh qu'>. If you want to go with the most literal
translation, it should be <Hergh nIvqu'>. This leaves you with:

Hergh nIvqu' 'oH HaghtaHghach'e'.

However, this whole thing is a bit awkward. You have stuck to the most
literal translation of the English. Think about what it means and try to
come up with a more Klingon way to say it. Here is my attempt:

bIHaghtaHvIS bIvor'egh.

See what you can do.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian