tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 08 16:26:47 1998

RE: KLBC Name

lab jonwI':

> Thanks for all your help and suggestions so far.
>
> >"Johnny" smushes easily into jonwI': engineer, and it looks
> >like a good fit.
>
> jonwI' is a good start but it doesn't quite fit me. How does
> HujjonwI' work in the Klingon language? I know it is combining
> a noun and a verb but will it convey what I'm trying to get at,
> 'strange engineer' (the ex and the faculty and students here
> will attest to that). I considered 'unusual' but it would make
> for a very long name and I didn't find anything that would work
> for 'scooter head'. Is there some way to say 'engineer who is
> strange/unusual/odd' that would work even better? I'll drop the
> sig to save space. Take Care.

Combining a verb and a noun is of course illegal. The literal way to say
"strange engineer" is <jonwI' Huj>.

However, it's a name. It doesn't have to follow the rules. It doesn't
have to mean anything at all. If you like <HujjonwI'>, go for it. If you
want to make it just a touch shorter and give it a more unique sound,
you could use <HujonwI'>, or maybe even just <Hujon>. It's your name,
and you can do anything you want to with it.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level