tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 08 08:13:13 1998

RE: KLBC Klingon Name

> My own name, pagh, happens to be a word, which means, among other
> things, "nobody" and "nothing". This has occasionally caused confusion,
> although most of it has been humorous. If I were choosing anew, I would
> probably avoid <pagh> because of this confusion, but <pagh> has been my
> name for a long time, and I don't want to change it.
>
> pagh
> Beginners' Grammarian

Indeed.  Among other things <pagh> means:

 nothing, none
 no one
 zero (the number)
 or, or else, either/or (the conjunction)
 the name of a ship (IKV Pagh)
    those malevolent wraiths at Deep Space Nine.

leading to some amusing double entendres in the canon:

 taH pagh taHbe'. (ST6)

 pa'vo' pagh leghlu'. (CK)

 Qu' buSHa'chugh SuvwI', batlhHa' vangchugh, qoj matlhHa'chugh, pagh ghaH
SuvwI''e'. (TKW)

 Dal pagh jagh.  (TKW)

And my favorite:

 lojmIt poSDaq Daq pagh.  (PK)

which pretty much describes his role of  Beginning Grammarian on this mailing
list!

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons