tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 26 11:56:12 1998

Re: Inherently Plural Nouns

Hmmmm.

I wonder about this list. The problem I have with it is that
the {-mey} suffix to indicate "scattered all about" meaning
applies to inherently plural nouns WITH A SINGULAR COUNTERPART,
like {DoS/ray'}, and the {-mey} is applied to the SINGULAR
version. {DoSmey} means "targets scattered all about". Who
knows WHAT {ray'mey} means? I don't.

So, what is the singular counterpart to {begh}? I don't think
there is one. So, for the given rule the question was meant to
serve, I think that for once, our excellent voragh missed. It
doesn't happen very often. Take a picture, quick...

charghwI'

According to Steven Boozer:

> >What are the inherently plural nouns? Their singular counterparts that, along
> >with the suffix -mey, give the "scattered about" connotation?  I know of
> >veng/cha, chuyDaH/vIj, and DoS/ray'.  Are there more?
> >
> >tu'wI'
>
> You ask some good questions, tu'wI'.  Let's see, I can think of:
>
> begh		deflectors
> chuyDaH		thrusters (sg. vIj)
> cha		torpedoes (sg. peng)
> ghISDen		scales
> HoSDo'		energy beings (pl. only?)
> jo		resources (sg. Sup)
> lolSeHcha	attitude control thrusters
> negh		soldiers (sg. mang; cf. KGT 49f for discussion)
> no'		ancestors (sg. qempa')
> ngop		plates (sg. jengva')
> paSlogh		socks
> pu'DaH		phaser banks
> QaS		troops (not including officers)
> Quv		coordinates
> ray'		targets (sg. DoS)
> wey		ship's crew complement (crew + officers; cf. KGT 50)
> 'aH		paraphernalia
>
> Can anyone add to this list?
>
> Voragh

Back to archive top level