tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat May 23 17:49:22 1998

RE: Sum (was: Quj bej Holtej qorDu')

> No, it doesn't mean they *must*.  It does seem a strong possibility.
>
> >If I were to say /DujDaq jISum/, would you understand that I'm near the
> >ship?
>
> I would understand that we are both English speakers trying to
> translate an
> English phrase into Klingon.  I wouldn't say {DujDaq jISum} at
> all.  I would
> say {Sum Duj}.

[...]

> I am near the ship.  You are far from the ship.  He is not near the ship.
> jIHvaD Sum Duj.  SoHvaD Hop Duj.  ghaHvaD Sumbe' Duj.

I don't see a huge benefit for /jIHvaD Sum Duj/ over /DujDaq jISum/ (or
/DujvaD jISum/ for that matter).

> These work just as well with {-vaD} as does {Qu'vaD lI' De'} "the
> information is useful for the mission."

In my mind, /Qu'vaD lI' De'/ is much more natural than /jIHvaD Sum Duj/ or
/DujDaq jISum/.  Perhaps you're right, and it's just interference from
English.

> SuStel
> Stardate 98390.1

--Holtej