tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat May 23 17:43:11 1998

Re: a little question of gender. . .

>A few friends and I have formed our own little Klingon house.  I am the lady
>of the house, and a few days ago, I was trying to find the Klingon translation
>of my title (Lady) in the dictionary.  I did find 'lord', but not 'lady'.
>Knowing that the Klingons often do not specify gender, does the Klingon word
>*jaw* (joH) translate as lady as well as lord?
>
>Lady betaSaq

Okrand explains the use of {joH} in Klingon for the Galactic Traveller, pp.
40-41:

"The leader of a house is afforded the title {joH}, usually translated as
'Lord.' This title is also used to refer to his wife, translated as 'Lady.'
If the title is used along with the name, one puts the name first, as is
the case with all titles: {Qugh joH} (Lord Kruge), {ghIrIlqa' joH} (Lady
Grilka). When addressing the head of a house, a member of a lower class may
use either the name plus {joH} or else {joH} plus {-wI'}, the first-person
possessive suffix for beings capable of language: {joHwI'} (my Lord, my
Lady). This title also has an alternate form, {jaw}, which is used from
time to time with no known difference in meaning or connotation, though
{joH} is heard far more frequently."

Back in August 1996, Okrand translated a few phrases for the British Radio
Times' special Star Trek 30th anniversary book, including:

	DaH nuq ta'pu' Day joH?
	What has Lady Di done now?

In Star Trek: Generations, both Lursa and B'Etor were each addressed as
{joH} "Mistress" by crewmen on their Bird of Prey.

Voragh

Back to archive top level