tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 22 07:08:26 1998

Re: Proverbs 29:11

According to Holtej:

> > Could I use mu'tlheghmey val for Proverbs?
>
> Or perhaps puns, palindromes, riddles....  If I just saw /mu'tlheghmey val/,
> I would not necessarily understand it to mean "proverbs," and certainly not
> a specific section of the Bible.  It's a "hindsight" construction.

Awww. Missed your chance to reveal that Okrand has used
{vIttlhegh} to mean "proverb" instead of sending tu'wI' off to
come up with ANOTHER hindsight word for it...

> > This is how I've translated Proverbs 29:11.
> >
> > A foolish person loses his temper, but a wise person controls his temper.
> >  QeHDaj SeHbe' ghut Dogh 'ach QeHDaj SeH ghut val.
>
> Qay' DoghwI', Qay'be' valwI'.

majQa'! vIparHa'qu'! Good use of the vocabulary!

> > Feel free to correct the grammar or suggest better phrasing.
>
> Replacing /QeHDaj SeHbe'/ with /Qay'/ seems a more succinct use of the
> vocabulary to me.  There's nothing wrong with /ghut Dogh/, but I just felt
> that this is exactly what /-wI'/ is intended for, so I went with /DoghwI'/.

How about {qoH}? It has been used in several Okrandian proverbs
already. Klingons seem to like the word for this meaning. I'd
also wonder if {wIgh} would do for {valwI'}. It is all a matter
of threshold. You could soften it with {wIghHey}.

> > tu'wI'
>
> --Holtej

charghwI'

Back to archive top level