tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 22 07:44:28 1998

RE: Proverbs 29:11

> Could I use mu'tlheghmey val for Proverbs?
>
> tu'wI'

: Or perhaps puns, palindromes, riddles....  If I just saw /mu'tlheghmey val/,
: I would not necessarily understand it to mean "proverbs," and certainly not
: a specific section of the Bible.  It's a "hindsight" construction.
:
: --Holtej

I agree, why be so arcane?  Klingon has {vIttlhegh}, which is a good
equivalent for Hebrew *mashal*.  Thus, {vIttlheghmey} is the perfect
translation of *Mishlei", the book known to Anglophones as "Proverbs".
Okrand on Klingon proverbs:

"It has long been known that proverbs play a significant role in Klingon
culture. They are cited not only to impart the wisdom of Klingon society,
but their correct usage--at least in the case of so-called replacement
proverbs--is sometimes the only way to regain honor following an unfortunate
situation... The usual term for proverb is {vIttlhegh}, literally `truth
rope' and formed, no doubt, by analogy with {mu'tlhegh} `sentence' or,
literally, `word rope'." (HolQeD 5.1)

"A society's values are often encapsulated in its repertoire of proverbs or
maxims, common statements of fundamental truths that are applicable to many
situations. Such expressions are well known by the members of the society.
They are often short and are frequently (some might say too frequently)
uttered. They give advice generally accepted to be worth heeding... Indeed,
many Klingon proverbs are commands, a telling fact in its own right." (TKW
pp. vii, ix)

Cf. {peghmey vIttlhegh} "secrecy proverb":

"Infrequently the singular {pegh} `secret' (rather than the plural
{peghmey}) is heard, shortening the construction to {pegh vIttlhegh}. Since
{pegh} is also a verb (meaning `keep something secret'), {pegh vIttlhegh}
can also be interpreted as a sentence meaning something like `a proverb
keeps things secret,' that is, it withholds information rather than being a
ready source of answers. To some Klingons, this is a most insightful
coincidence." (HolQeD 5.1)

Cf. also {qa'meH vIttlhegh} "replacement proverb":

"This is the only way to say replacement proverb currently, but in the past,
the common term was the lengthier {quvqa'meH vIttlhegh}, literally, `proverb
for (the purpose of) being honored again.' The word {qa'meH}, clearly a
shortened form of {quvqa'meH}, was originally used only in the construction
of {qa'meH vIttlhegh}, but, though historically two verb suffixes, it has
become accepted as a noun in its own right, meaning replacement in the sense
of something that takes over for or is used instead of something that is
gone or that has been lost. It is not used for a temporary substitute or a
stand-in; the word for that is {lIw}." (HolQeD 5.1)

Voragh

Back to archive top level