tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 22 06:02:19 1998

RE: Proverbs 29:11

> Could I use mu'tlheghmey val for Proverbs?

Or perhaps puns, palindromes, riddles....  If I just saw /mu'tlheghmey val/,
I would not necessarily understand it to mean "proverbs," and certainly not
a specific section of the Bible.  It's a "hindsight" construction.

> Also, I've used 'ay' for verse,
> but I noticed some use DoD.  Any reason why?

I used /DoD/, because it seemed a natural Klingon way to distinguish between
major/minor numbers like 14:33, not because I thought it was a good
translation for "verse."  Your mileage may vary.

> This is how I've translated Proverbs 29:11.
>
> A foolish person loses his temper, but a wise person controls his temper.
>  QeHDaj SeHbe' ghut Dogh 'ach QeHDaj SeH ghut val.

Qay' DoghwI', Qay'be' valwI'.

> Feel free to correct the grammar or suggest better phrasing.

Replacing /QeHDaj SeHbe'/ with /Qay'/ seems a more succinct use of the
vocabulary to me.  There's nothing wrong with /ghut Dogh/, but I just felt
that this is exactly what /-wI'/ is intended for, so I went with /DoghwI'/.

> tu'wI'

--Holtej

Back to archive top level