tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 20 11:42:06 1998

Re: On (was Off) topic: I need a help in translation

According to Marc Ruehlaender:

> ja' HovqIj:
> > {Hegh} is a bit too far from the text. At least to me, the Latin
> > "spiritum emisit" implies some intention. "He sent away his spirit"
> >
> bIqar. ghaytan Qap {Hegh'eghmoH}.
>
> unless canon implies that this metaphor is readily understood
> by Klingons, I believe one should make explicit use of the verb
> {Hegh} because that is exactly what happens. Klingons don't
> use euphemisms for dying, do they?

Religious texts are not typically appropriate for me to comment
upon, since I don't understand them, but for this particular
phrase, the temptation is too strong. The imagery calls to me:

porgh'Daj vonta'mo' jeghpu'Daj 'ej rInmo' porghDaj Qu',
yIttaHmeH qa'Daj, Heghqangqu'choH. Heghchu'.

> (maybe it is time for some grammarian to give me a slap on the
> mouth here :-)

Fantasies about Qov will get you nowhere.

Understandable, though they may be...

>                                            Marc Ruehlaender
>                                            aka HomDoq
>                                            [email protected]