tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 19 21:51:48 1998

Re: KLBC: U2 Lyrics

At 09:14 98-05-17 -0700, Matt wrote:
}On Fri, May 15, 1998 at 11:19:29PM -0700, Qov wrote:

}> }Am I trying to be too ambitious? Is it unwise to set my goals so high?
}> Translating a song is always tough.
}I think I'll stick to simple 'single idea' sentences like yours below.  I
}should make less mistakes and therefore get less despondent!

I think it's easier to learn doing one thing at a time, but not everyone does.

}> I visit the Klingons.
}tlhInganpu' vISuch.

maj.

}> I know that you visit the Klingons.
}tlhInganpu' DaSuch 'e' vISov.

majQa'.

}> You ate the dishes. (the meals, not the plates)
}nay'pu' DaSopta'.  (You singular)

Ack.  Do you have something against the suffix {-mey}?
The plural suffix {-pu'} is ONLY for beings that can use language.

{nay'pu'} is wrong

My English did not imply the perfective, so I'd prefer you translate as
simple past:

nay'mey DaSop

}> I know that you ate the dishes.
}nay'pu' DaSopta' 'e' vISov.

nay'mey DaSop 'e' vISov

}> His hands are on his head.
}nachDaq bIH ghopDu'.

Two ways:

nachDajDaq bIH ghopDu'Daj'e'.
OR
nachDajDaq ghopDu'Daj lutu'lu'.

}I am not sure about that last one.  It is about a being capable of using
}language but the subject are
}*his hands* which are not capable of using language.
}So I chose bIH instead of chaH.

Right.

You forgot something, though.  The topic marker {-'e'} is NOT optional in
such sentences.  Also I said "his" in both cases.  I know that in some
languages the possessive is not used with body parts, or not used in all
situations, so I hesitate before demanding it in Klingon.  I put it in
above, though.

}One final query: Is my sig correct? I want to quote Descartes' famous "I
think }therfore I am".

There have been numerous threads on this topic.  Search the archives.

}vaj yIyIn vIQub
"Thus live! (command) I think it."

Not really what you're looking for, eh?

Now: re-read section 3.3.2 carefully, and form the normal plurals of the
following nouns:

volchaH, romuluSngan, tera', ghIch, yoD, peng, Qugh, qIgh, puq, boQ, pIp,
taj, lojmIt

Qov     [email protected]
Now on ICQ: 12235599

Back to archive top level