tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 17 09:13:22 1998

Re: KLBC: U2 Lyrics

On Fri, May 15, 1998 at 11:19:29PM -0700, Qov wrote:
> At 15:23 98-05-14 -0700, Matt wrote:
> }yotlhmeyDaq vIqetpu'.
> }I have run through the fields.
> qay'be'.
I think this must be the only sentence I've written that you haven't needed to correct!

> }Am I trying to be too ambitious? Is it unwise to set my goals so high?
> Translating a song is always tough.
I think I'll stick to simple 'single idea' sentences like yours below.  I should
make less mistakes and therefore get less despondent!

> I visit the Klingons.
tlhInganpu' vISuch.

> I know that you visit the Klingons.
tlhInganpu' DaSuch 'e' vISov.

> You ate the dishes. (the meals, not the plates)
nay'pu' DaSopta'.  (You singular)

> I know that you ate the dishes.
nay'pu' DaSopta' 'e' vISov.

> His hands are on his head.
nachDaq bIH ghopDu'.

I am not sure about that last one.  It is about a being capable of using language but the subject are
*his hands* which are not capable of using language.  So I chose bIH instead of chaH.

One final query: Is my sig correct? I want to quote Descartes' famous "I think therfore I am".
Thanks again!
Matt
--
Matt Peperell <[email protected]>