tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 18 07:37:58 1998

Re: Klingon Names: The Registry Of Warriors (fwd)

: Inspired by this message, I am 'redoing' my name, it was naytlhan,
: (to sound like Nathan...)  but now i'm trying to translate the
: meaning.... so gift of(from) god... (I've started with..)
:    chenmoHwI''a'nob
: which is 'great creators gift, (without a space)
: this is too bulky......how could 'God' be simplified????
:
: Nathan Grange

Avoiding the theological implications of simplifying G-d, many people on
this list use *{joH'a'} "great lord", though I suppose you could use just
{joH} in a name:  *joH'a'nob or *joHnob.  Another possibility would be
*{qa''a'} the "Great Spirit" or just {qa'}:  *qa''a'nob or *qa'nob.
Personally, I think the shorter versions sound better as names, which are
abbreviated statements of faith anyway -- just as Nathan "He has given" is
abbreviated from Nathaniel "El (one of the names of G-d) has given".

Or you could make up your own, non-translated, name -- as I did.  As I've
mentioned before, I wasn't about to translate my Terran name into *{mIv'a'
chechwI'}!!

Voragh

Steven Boozer   University of Chicago Library   [email protected]

Back to archive top level