tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 08 14:33:48 1998

Re: A very short story...

At 14:02 98-05-08 -0700, David Baxter wrote:

}I just felt like writing a short story in Klingon, so I did.
}I suspect it's probably full of errors, but I hope you will make the
}most of it.

In future if you want me to help with your Klingon, put the letters "KLBC"
in the subject.  If you specifically don't want people poking at it, you'd
better say that, too, or people will.

}Plot : Two people standing in a bar. They do not know each other.
}
}qabej tlhlH je choplH (I watch you and you are suspicious.)

Remember that in Klingon the object comes first, then the verb, then the
subject.  (see section 6.1)

The words for you (one person) and you (more than one person) are different.
(see section 5.1 and note that pronouns are optional).

The word for "and" is different depending on what you are connecting. See
section 5.3.  Note that the middle letter in {pIH} is a capital I (eye) not
lower case l (ell).

qabej 'ej chopIH  - I watch you and you are supicious.

}choyIt Highos (You walk towards me)

The {HI-} prefix gives a command.  {HIghoS} - "approach me!"
The {cho-} prefix states that an action is perfomed by you, on me {choghoS}
- "you approach me"

{cho-} doesn't make sense on {yIt} (*"you walk me"?).  You could say:

{bIyIt.  choghoS.} "You walk.  You approach me."

}chojatlh nuqneH (You speak. What do you want?)

{chojatlh nuqneH} could mean "You say nuqneH to me."  A period in the
Klingon would make it clearer.  {chojatlh. nuqneH}.  Also, as nuqneH is
somewhat ritualized, if you REALLY want to ask what someone wants, nuq DaneH
would be better.

}pagh (Nothing!)

No problem.

}chobejQo' (Do not watch me.)

Now you need the {HI-} prefix.  {HIbejQo'} - "do not watch me"

}qabejbe (I will not watch you)

Don't forget the letter '.

{qabejbe'} - "I will not watch you."  It could also mean "I didn't watch
you." or "I don't watch you."

}maj (Good)

maj. :)

}bI'lv (Who are you) [I am sure that this isn't right.]

You need {'Iv SoH} or {SoH 'Iv} (either one).  You can't put a verb prefix
on something that isn't a verb.

}torgh (Torgh)
}torgh choHohvipbe' (Torgh, I am not afraid to kill you.)

That's "you are not afraid to kill me"  Watch those {I}s.  Always shift.

You want {qaHoHvIpbe'}

}cholI' (You come closer)

{bIchol}, if it's a statement.  {yIchol} if it's an order.

}chonuQchugh qaHoh (Don't annoy me, or I will kill you.)

maj!  If you'd shifted for the last H in {HoH} it would be perfect.

}lu' (Ok)

}(The person then hits his communicator, and contacts his ship in orbit.)
}jol ylchu' (Activate transport beam / beam me up)

majQa'.  I think you got better as you wrote that, qar'a'?  This kind of
dialogue, building on the rote phrases from the appendix is a really got way
to make stories.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level