tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 06 09:03:25 1998

Re: MO about fork and spoon

: ghunchu'wI' wrote:
: }>From: "Marc Okrand" <[email protected]>
: }>[...]
: }>The Klingon word for "spoon" is {baghneQ}.  Even though
: }>spoons were never typically used when eating, the word
: }>appears to have been in the language for a long time,
: }>suggesting that it may once have meant something else.  One
: }>theory is that it comes from {nagh beQ} "flat stone, flat
: }>rock" and that the initial sounds of the two words, {n} and
: }>{b}, were, for some reason, transposed.  This is, however,
: }>just speculation.
: }
: }Oh. My. Goodness.  He's gone and done it again.  Transposing the
: }initial sounds of the word for "spoon" indeed... aaarrrggghh!
:
: jIvemDI' vItlhoj.  *spoonerism* 'oH jIjatlhmeH jIrar.  tlhu'DI' MO
vangnISlaw'.
:
: Qov     [email protected]

: ghay'cha'!  qIDDaj DaQIj 'e' vItlhob.
: It may be because I haven't had my qa'vIn this morning, but I just don't
get it.
: Is this a reference to some brand name of cutlery?
:
: Voragh

toH, pay' jIyajchoHpu'!

Voragh