tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 06 10:26:13 1998

Re: MO about fork and spoon

ghunchu'wI':
> Oh. My. Goodness.  He's gone and done it again.  Transposing the
> initial sounds of the word for "spoon" indeed... aaarrrggghh!

Holtej:
> It's quite possible that I would never have caught that if you hadn't
> pointed it out.  That's fabulous!  I *actually* laughed out loud!

Voragh [me]:
: It may be because I haven't had my qa'vIn this morning, but I just don't get
: it.  Is this a reference to some brand name of cutlery?

Qov:
: jIvemDI' vItlhoj. *spoonerism* 'oH jIjatlhmeH jIrar. tlhu'DI' MO vangnISlaw'.

Qov [again]:
: The term for an accident of speech or a joke made by transposing the intial
: letters of adjacent words is "spoonerism."

charghwI':
: Perhaps Qov's post already explained this for you or maybe you
: don't know what a spoonerism is. Most dictionaries will tell
: you. As I remember, Rev. Spooner's most famous example was
: "Someone is occupewing my pie," which is, in fact, not quite a
: spoonerism as we now know them. A better example is "You hissed
: the mystery lesson." or baghneQ, apparently...

Thanks folks, I know about spoonerisms.  I just didn't get the joke so early
in the morning.  As I said, I hadn't had my coffee yet!

Since he'd already used {pIch}, at least Okrand didn't call a "fork" a *{HeDaq}.

Voragh

Back to archive top level