tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 06 09:15:17 1998

Re: MO about fork and spoon

According to Steven Boozer:

> : > >>From: "Marc Okrand" <[email protected]>
> : > >>[...]
> : > >>The Klingon word for "spoon" is {baghneQ}.  Even though
> : > >>spoons were never typically used when eating, the word
> : > >>appears to have been in the language for a long time,
> : > >>suggesting that it may once have meant something else.  One
> : > >>theory is that it comes from {nagh beQ} "flat stone, flat
> : > >>rock" and that the initial sounds of the two words, {n} and
> : > >>{b}, were, for some reason, transposed.  This is, however,
> : > >>just speculation.
> : >
> : > Oh. My. Goodness.  He's gone and done it again.  Transposing the
> : > initial sounds of the word for "spoon" indeed... aaarrrggghh!
> :
> : > -- ghunchu'wI'
> :
> : It's quite possible that I would never have caught that if you hadn't
> : pointed it out.  That's fabulous!  I *actually* laughed out loud!
> :
> : You must admit, the fact that Okrand gets such obvious joy out of toying
> : with us like this really does make it fun.  {{:)
> :
> : --Holtej
>
> ghay'cha'!  qIDDaj DaQIj 'e' vItlhob.
>
> It may be because I haven't had my qa'vIn this morning, but I just don't get
> it.  Is this a reference to some brand name of cutlery?
>
> Voragh

Perhaps Qov's post already explained this for you or maybe you
don't know what a spoonerism is. Most dictionaries will tell
you. As I remember, Rev. Spooner's most famous example was
"Someone is occupewing my pie," which is, in fact, not quite a
spoonerism as we now know them. A better example is "You hissed
the mystery lesson." or baghneQ, apparently...

charghwI'

Back to archive top level