tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 04 12:55:30 1998

RE: Some questions and ideas

ja' ghunchu'wI':

>>The person who created the glyphs is Michael Okuda who designs the
>>sets for the whole Star Trek series.

>The symbols being discussed were created by Astra Image Corporation for
>use in Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

>ja' pagh:
>>I'm not talking about Okuda's offical glyphs from the show!!  I'm
>>talking about the computer font which we can buy on the KLI merchant
>>page!

jIja'be'. ja' DloraH 'e' vIHar.

>They are the same things, with a few minor stylistic differences around
>the edges and a few symbols missing from the font.

>>Again, the font already exists; we can buy it from the KLI, without
>>problems from Paramount!  I know they are not canon, but many of us
>>use them.  They already exist.  We use them, but we can't refer to the
>>individual symbles?!

>I have three ways that *I* use to refer to letters of the KLIpIqaDmey
>font. The main method is simply to make the sound it represents.  The
>other way that most people would understand is to invoke the name of
>the romanized spelling equivalent:  kyoo, aye, see-aitch, big kyoo, oh,
>tick.  I've got another possibility as well, using the keyboard mapping
>of the letters to name them -- kay, aye, see, kyoo, oh, tick -- but not
>many people would be able to recognize it quickly.

I find it somewhat ironic that tlhIngan spelled in the KLI mapping comes
out "XIFAN". For what it's worth, I just use Okrand's romanization when
talking about the Okrand romanized writing system we use. tee-ell-aitch
is a bit long, and kyoo and big kyoo get a bit annoying, but it works.
If
I am refusing to drop out of tlhIngan Hol and back into English, I just
make the sound.

pagh

Back to archive top level