tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 03 00:03:05 1998

Re: More Isreali celebration

ja' peHruS:
> >*Edom* mIr bIngDaq QottaHvIS *Tsion* 'ej *Arab* mIrmeyDaq jIQottaHvIS, (1)
>
> You never included this footnote.  "While Tsion lies above Edom's chain and
> while I lie on (the) Arab('s/s') chains."  Not only do I have no idea what
> these things are, I'm confused about who's doing exactly what.
>
>That's "below the chains of Edom and in the chains of the Arabs."  The
>original translation by Nina Salaman from Hebrew into English uses "fetters of
>Edom".  It is Tsion which is lying beneath the fetters and in chains.  FYI,
>Tsion is another name for Jerusalem.

If it's Tsion lying in chains, why is the second sentence {jIQottaHvIS}?
I shared the original confusion (though I did get {bIng} right).  Your
"explanation" seems to justify the confusion .

"Lying in Edom's chains' below-area" might be good poetry in Hebrew, but it
doesn't do a very good job of carrying the idea of confinement you seem to
want into the Klingon.  Consider the verb {wegh}.

>I have observed that Star Trek episodes use "energy fields" to contain so-
>called prisoners.

Jerusalem in the recent past, or even the present day, does not use anything
resembling "energy fields".  If you want to talk about being contained like
a prisoner, what's wrong with {bIghHa'Hey}?

> >'ach jIHvaD Hoch Dochmeyvetlh vIwoDbogh Qu' ngeD law' Hoch ngeD puS,
>
> "But for me, the all-those-things-which-I-throw-away's task is the easiest
> of all."  Since I don't know what this is supposed to mean, I can't suggest
> an alternative, even though what you have written is grammatical.  It looks
> very much like you need to use a {-ghach}'d word.
>
>The original English says "A light thing it would be for me to leave all the
>good things of Spain".  The Hebrew is "yakel beeynai azov khol-tuv sefarad".

I don't see any resemblence between the English and the Klingon; maybe the
Hebrew is closer to your translation?  Since I read English better, I'd use
it as the source and say {Hoch *Spain* Dochmey QaQ vItlhapbe'qangchu'}.

> >lulIgh rurbogh yoS lamHom leghtaHvIS mInDu'wIj, tev nIv 'oH wanI'vam'e'.
>
> "The district which resembles rides it while my eyes see a bit of dirt, this
> event is a superior prize."
> "The bit bit of dirt district which resembles ride it while my eyes see,
> this event is a superior prize." >>
>
>Here, I suggest you don't try to force {lulIgh} to be a verb.  It is a noun!!!

{lulIgh rurbogh yoS lamHom} "district's minor dirt which resembles refuge"
doesn't look any better to me, sorry.  Maybe the other interpretation of
"minor dirt of a district which resembles refuge" is a little more reasonable,
but in that case I'd suggest saying {lulIghHey} instead of using {rur}.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level