tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 01 09:53:00 1998

Re: KLBC - pronouns and verb suffixes

: What about adverbs. I believe that -be' and -qu' may be used. I am not sure
: about -Ha'.
:
: Ken

Actually, it's just the opposite: {-Ha'} can be added to *some* adverbials,
but I can't find any with {-be'} and {-qu'}.  You're probably remembering
expressions like {qay'be'!} or {Dajqu'!}, which are third person verbs.
Marc Okrand commented on this peculiarity of {-Ha'} in HolQeD 4.4:

   "The word for `dishonorably' is {batlhHa'}. This is clearly the adverbial
   {batlh} `in an honored fashion' plus a suffix {-Ha'}, which might be analyzed
   as the negative suffix that follows verbs or else as a suffix identical in
   form (and meaning?) to it, but which appears with adverbials. Whether this
   {-Ha'} can be added to all adverbials is not clear. The notes taken while
   working with Maltz indicate that he balked at {vajHa'} (`not thus'?) but
   accepted {Do'Ha'} `unfortunately'. Information on other adverbials has not
   yet been uncovered, though it is probably in the notes somewhere."

BTW, we can add {ghaytanHa'} "unlikely, not likely" from the Radio Times
book to this list. Notice how Okrand avoided saying outright that adverbials
can take verb suffixes, instead suggesting {-Ha'} *might* be a homophonous,
previously unattested adverbial suffix and that more research was needed.

Voragh

Back to archive top level