tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 30 23:18:24 1998

Re: KLBC : and

---Alan Anderson <[email protected]> wrote:

> ja' David Baxter:
> >chobuQ tera'ngan vIHoH
> >
> >That should read : 'You threaten me and I kill the Terran.'
> >At the moment, I think it reads 'You threaten me. I kill the Terran.'
> >
> >What's the word for 'and'?
>
> Qov has answered your question.  But I want to find out if you asked
> the right question in the first place. :-)
>
> Did you mean "If you threaten me, I will kill the Terran?"  That's a
> completely different statement from what you asked for, but it's not
> uncommon to hear them used to mean the same thing in English.

jIHaghqu'!  I can't believe I did that.

tera' wIDab 'ej Soj Sop lotlhwI'
SuD targh 'ej HI'tuy Haj Doy'yuSngan
chobuQ 'ej tera'ngan vIHoH

SIghchuqlaH wanI'mey 'e' vItu'be'chu'mo' bIghelHa'laH 'e' vItu'be'.

Nice catch ghunchu'wI'. If you mean to imply a cause/effect or if/then
relationship, or anything other than "event ... and event," then mere
"and" is insufficient.

chobuQchugh tera'ngan vIHoH
"If you threaten me I will kill the terran."

Read sections 4.2.9 and 6.2.2 for the story about /-chugh/.
==

Qov - Beginners' Grammarian