tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 30 18:57:47 1998

Re: KLBC: QIt tlhingan Hol vIghojS

Oops, forgot to answer this.  I put it aside to give it proper
consideration and forgot to go back to it.

--Matthew Peperell <[email protected]> wrote:

> puqpu' vIlegh.  I see the children.
> muleghlaHbe' nov.  The alien cannot see me.
> He chIm vIlegh.  I see the deserted roads.

maj.

> muvuQ leHolmey nov. Foreign languages fascinate me.

funny typo?  /Holmey/ not /leHolmey/.

> rut vIbom 'ach parHa'be ghotpu'. I sometimes sing but people dont
like > it!

Not sure if Klingon allows the dummy 'it' there.  If it does, then the
verb prefix is /lu-/.  I prefer to avoid this contruction and say
something like, /rut jIbom 'ach jIbom 'e' luparHa'be' ghotpu'/

> DaH Huch vIbajvad jjIvum *university*Daq Huch ghajbe'mo'. ngevwI' jIH.
> Now I am working for money because I will not have much at
> university.  I am
> a salesperson.

/-vaD/ is a noun suffix.  Please reserve it for use on nouns. The verb
suffix you are looking for is /-meH/.
You need a prefix on /ghaj/ to match its subject and object.

This sentence would be easier for most people to understand were the
locative and the /-mo'/ clause before the main clause.  This is not
stipulated in TKD and is possibly an artifact created by a very
forceful grammarian who yelled at most of us until we did it that way.
 Read section 4.2.9 in the main dictionary and the appendix, and
section 6.2.2 and decide for yourself.
==

Qov - Beginners' Grammarian