tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 29 19:27:43 1998

Re: KLBC - attempt at translation, v 1.1

[email protected] wrote:

> > > SoH je juplIj tupar
> >
> SoH juplI' je Sapar

maj

> > > </color>> They will follow you (plural).

> > qar moHaq.
> I translate this as "The prefix is accurate." So should I have said
just this?
> lItlha'taH chaH

majQa'  There is no less information in this sentence than in the one
with /tlhIH/.  because of the prefix /lI-/ the object must be /tlhIH/,
but as the subject could be ghaH, 'oH, bIH or chaH, it makes perfect
sense to be explicit.  An good example of appropriate use of pronouns.

> > > </color>> Saccharine annoys me.
> >
> munuQ HaQchor
> >
> > qech Dayaj 'ach bIqeqnISlaw'.
> You understand the idea, however, you apparently need to practice. (?)

bIyaj.

> Apparently. <g> I guess a lot of my confusion stems from not knowing
just
> where the line is drawn on using/not using pronouns...

If putting in the pronoun adds or emphasizes information you want
added or emphasized, put it in.  If it adds nothing and no emphasis is
wanted, leave it out.

==

Qov - Beginners' Grammarian