tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 29 16:14:45 1998

Re: KLBC - Adverbials

---Steven Boozer  wrote:

>  - "As for how to use {Sum} 'be near, nearby' -- that will require
>     some more time with Maltz. {Do' Sum matlh.}" (MSN BBS 9/01/97)

That's either "With luck, Maltz will be near," or "Luckily, Maltz is
nearby," so it doesn't prove it one way or the other.

> Verbal {Do'} "be fortunate, be lucky" has been used thus:
>
>  - maDo'Ha'
>    We are (always) unlucky. TKD
>  - maDo'be'
>    We are not lucky. TKD
>  - maDo'choH
>    We are becoming lucky. We are undergoing a turn of luck. TKD
>  - bach Do' qaH
>    A lucky shot sir... ST3
>  - ma'Do'chugh QeHchoH wa'                       <-----====<<< N.B.
>    If we're lucky, one will get angry. CK

That obviously should be /maDo'chugh/.  It is a very slight weight
against /Do'/ meaning /maDo'chugh/, but not enough to change my mind
back.   After all, /maDo'chugh/ is correct in either case.
==

Qov - Beginners' Grammarian