tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 28 10:00:06 1998

Re: K.L.I.? Rank

: > I can't quite remember where this comes from, but I think we have *yaS
: > wa'DIch* for "first officer" from a canon source.  Does anyone know the
: > source, or am I just hallucinating.
: >
: > SuSvaj
:
: Nope, you're correct... went back and checked KGT and found it there (p. 53).
:
: Kreth

"... regardless of their official ranks, those closest to the captain of a
ship are called {yaS wa'DIch} (first officer) and {yaS cha'DIch} (second
officer). Unlike the terms associated with specific duties, however, these
may be used as titles as well. It is correct to say both {qImlaq yaS
wa'DIch} (First Officer K'mlak) and {yaS wa'DIch ghaH qImlaq la''e'}
(Commander K'mlak is first officer)." (KGT p.53)

"A ritual of a less majestic sort occurs on a Klingon vessel when a new set
of officers takes over and a mission is about to begin. With the bridge crew
assembled but the captain not yet present, the first officer states his or
her name and then says {DaH yaS wa'DIch vIgheS} 'I now take my place as
first officer'. ('Now I assume the responsibilities of first officer' or,
literally, 'Now I assume the responsibilities offirst officer'." ( KGT p.183ff)

Back to archive top level